Can a Canadian Citizen (but US resident) rent a car in the US to drive into Canada?

I am a Canadian citizen living in USA. I need to to travel to Canada. Can I rent a car from US and drive to Canada and drop the car back in US? My wife, who is permanent resident of Canada will be also joining me. Anything I need to be aware of for car rentals?



The basic rule is that Canadian Law prevents a Canadian "resident" from bringing a US owned car into Canada. As long as you are a US resident NOT a Canadian resident, you will have no issue with being able to transport your rental car from the US to Canada and back.

Because your wife is a permanent resident of Canada, she would NOT be permitted to drive the rental car over the US/Canada Border or while in Canada... she certainly could drive the car while in the US (assuming she meets the other age and drivers license requirements of the rental car company).

Hope this helps!


More on:

Border Crossings
Taking a rental car into Canada


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.