Taking a Rental Car into Mexico

Can I cross the US border to Mexico? Want to drive a rental car from US to Nuevo Laredo (Mexico)?
I am an international student from Austin, going to Nuevo Laredo US consulate to extend the F1 visa. I want to rent a car and drive to the consulate. Can I really do that? When I looked into blogs, saw that people go to Laredo (TX) and take cabs. I want to know that whether I can go directly.



I'm not sure what will apply to your situation, so I'll tell you all I know.

If you’re a U.S resident, you may drive a rental car into Mexico with some rental companies. You may only drive a rental vehicle into Mexico if you purchase Mexican Automobile Liability Insurance at the U.S. rental location. This insurance is available only at specific locations in certain states. The three most common are Texas, Arizona and California. It is not available to purchase in Mexico.


Foreign nationals who can’t establish legal permanent U.S. resident status or current valid visa status can’t purchase this insurance because Mexico law prohibits such persons from driving a U.S. car in Mexico, making them subject to arrest and the car subject to seizure.

You must purchase this extra insurance regardless of any insurance coverages you may already have or already purchased from the rental agency.

Most companies that allow travel into Mexico. will only only travel within a certain area; check with the car rental company you want to rent from to check restrictions.

There are vehicle type and size restrictions as well. Most companies will not allow you to take a rental minivan, SUV or speciality vehicle into Mexico. These vehicles have a super high theft risk. Make sure to check with the location you rent from for details on these restrictions.


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.