Will it be too expensive to get a rental car for such a long trip

I live in Kalispell Montana, and I plan on driving to Phoenix Arizona in the begining of April for my sister's wedding. I would like to get a rental car, but i'm not sure if it will be far too expensive? It is about 1,300 miles each way and i'll be gone for about 7-9 days. There are several rental agencies near me.. is there one that tends to run cheaper than the others? Also, is there a maximum amount of miles they let you use before they raise the price?



You should check the car rental rates for each agency near you. A great way to start is to go to a booking site, like travelocity or expedia.

Check the rates for Kalispell (both on and off-airport) to find the cheapest company. Then go to that company's website and check the same vehicle, dates and times. Look to see if they are offering any "specials" or "deals" for that time or area. Use a discount code if you qualify. Many membership programs (auto clubs, frequent flyer) and professional associations offer car rental discounts to their members. If you can get the rate cheaper than on the booking site, book it right away. Where you're not planning to travel until April, write down your reservation number and call every 3 weeks or so to see if the price has gone down for your reservation.

Make sure that the rates you get include unlimited mileage. Good Luck; hope this information helps!



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it right for a car rental place to want a copy of your bank statement

I was sitting in my house. A drunk guy smashed into my car. His insurance is using Enterprise as the company for my car rental while they decide if it's totaled or not. I do not use credit cards so I have a debit card. I gave them that and my drivers license. The woman said she wants to see a utility bill (all in my husbands name), or a bank statement. I am not paying for this car. Progressive insurance is. Why would they think that a bank statement would be their business to make a copy of? I am 46 years old and have lived at my address for 19 years. If that makes any difference? I know that there's a thing about being under 25. They asked how long I've been at my address. It seems that a bank statement would be something that would be inappropriate for them to insist upon seeing. Anyone know anything about this?



Some rental car companies will direct bill the insurance company, while some will require you to pay up front and be reimbursed from the insurance company. I would check with Progressive to see who is paying for the rental upfront. If they do not have a direct bill setup with Enterprise I would request that they go with a different company, one that they are partners with.

Most car rental companies have specific rates set up with different insurance companies for different size vehicles. The insurance company will only allow so much per day and any costs over that is your responsibility. Basically Enterprise is requesting the same information that it would if you were renting the car personally using a debit card. Find out from the insurance company how much per day they are allowing for the rental and how much enterprise is charging for the rental. I would not give any information that you are not comfortable with, as you don't' want to get stuck with a bill for the car rental. It should be the insurance companies job to find a rental car for you that's total price will be covered by what they are willing to pay. You shouldn't have to pay extra.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


Are there rental car agency's that allow you to go one-way across the States in the U.S.?

My co-workers and I are planning a trip to Florida to go on a cruise in the Western-Bahamas. We live in Illinois and when we were checking the airfare tickets online, together for just the three of us, would be approx $1000. We are trying to save a few $$ bucks so we can spend more $$ on our excursions.

So, are there any car agency's that happen to go one-way when you rent it? We just need the car for approx. two days to make it down there and then another two to make it back. The cruise is nine days long and it just be ridiculous to pay for days we aren't even using the car as I am sure that will add up more than what the airfare would be.



There are car rental companies that would allow you to do this, but I don't think it would save you any money. I wasn't sure of your pick up or drop off city or dates, but I compared the rates with Avis, Budget and Hertz for a 2 day one way rental from chicago to ft lauderdale and then a 2 day one way rental back. I used a subcompact car picking up late Oct and returning 9 days later.

The Avis rate incl tax was $500 to get to Florida and $200 to return back to Illinois.

Budget was $511 to Florida and $222 to return back to Illinois.

Hertz was $730 to Florida and $455 back

Keep in mind that you would also have the cost of a hotel (unless you were driving straight through), the cost of the gas for the vehicle and the cost of food for you and your coworkers for each trip. The airfare may be cheaper in the long run!


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.