Rental Car Coverage through my Family's Auto Insurance?

I do not own a car so I do not have car insurance.

I will be renting a car for 2 weeks. If I add my name on my family's car insurance policy as an additional driver, will I be covered when driving the rental car?


The answer really depends on the automobile insurance and the type of policy that your family currently has.

The policy holder that would have to add you to the policy, should contact their insurance agent to determine, first, if their policy covers rental car insurance coverage -- and - most importantly - if (or by how much) this coverage extends to any additional drivers listed on the policy.

Make sure to have them check for public liability coverage amounts, property damage amounts as well as if the coverage extends to collison or loss of the rental vehcile itself (and, if so, how much coverage? ie. is it limited to the amount of coverage that is carried on their personal vehicle, or would it cover more if the rental car damage was in excess of that amount?) They may also want to check if the coverage covers loss of use of the rental car, if in an accident, and any administrative fees. They should also find out if they would have to pay their normal deductible, should something happen to the rental car, and how it would affect their premiums, should you have an accident.

I hope this helps!


Also see:

Car Rental Insurance Overview

Personal Auto Insurance Coverage
CDW and LDW Coverages
Credit Card Coverages
Personal Protection Offers
Liability Insurance


Category Article , , ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.