12 DAYS OF A KENYAN CHRISTMAS!

AppId is over the quota

Christmas is with us yet again. That time of year when all seems merry and bright; the season to be jolly. I wish to deviate from the norm that is the typical Kenyan Christmas this year- a trip upcountry with a roast 'Mbuzi' i.e. Swahili for goat and refreshments courtesy of a soft drink company! This year, I dare to do something different. To take my family on holiday and traverse our beautiful country over Christmas. I know I will never hear the end of it for breaking tradition-stepping out of the norm- but with the rest of the calendar year so full when else do I get to see 'Magical Kenya?!'

So I step out of my comfort zone and I plan a different kind of holiday. My very own 12 Days of Christmas; a wildlife Kenya Safari!

On the first day of Christmas the at Kairi Tours and I plan for a visit to Nairobi's Sheldrick orphanage where my family and I get to feed the orphaned elephants and even hope to adopt one! Later, we intend to visit the giraffe centre for a leisurely afternoon feeding the giraffes and have a brief stop at the Karen Blixen museum. On the second day of Christmas we will be busy packing for our official departure to destinations around Kenya but will enjoy a sumptuous dinner at the Carnivore. Our way of saying 'Kwaheri' to Nairobi for the next 10 days!

On the third day of Christmas a trip to Masai Mara it is! The Safari van, complete with the pop-up roof, will pick us up at our door step and we will descend into the Mara. As we are budget camping travelers, we will reside at the Rhino Tourist Tented camp. On the fourth day of Christmas a full day has been planned for us. IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY!! A special breakfast has been promised to us and we're told our guide will wear a Santa Claus hat. I look forward to seeing if this shall be so. It is important that we still remember that it is Christmas day regardless of what part of the country we will be in. On the fifth day of Christmas I have a surprise of my own for my family! I made special arrangements with the hotel in Nakuru (Waterbuck Hotel) where we will reside while in Nakuru that my family members find gifts I purchased specially for them waiting in their respective rooms. Like I said, it is the season to be jolly!

On the sixth day of Christmas Kairi Tours has suggested a day trip to Lakes Baringo and Bogoria where some of Lake Nakuru's flamingos have migrated to at this time of year. We will return to the hotel Nakuru town and on the seventh day of Christmas our Kenya Safari will take us to Lake Naivasha after a tour of the Rhino sanctuary in Lake Nakuru national park. A boat ride has been planned for us while we are here with our dinner and accommodation at Taphe Guest resort again in line with our budget Safari. On the eighth day of Chritmas we will take a walk in the Hell's gate national park with my children opting to cycle instead. To be honest, this is the park that excites me the most and I look forward to it.

On the ninth day of Christmas...Amboseli!!! I am looking forward to showing this national park to my loved ones having been here several years ago and enjoyed it immensely! The views of the great Kilimanjaro and the big, jumbo elephants are bound to be as exciting for them as they were for me! On the tenth day of Christmas we bid Amboseli goodbye and move further down into Tsavo West. I have heard of the Mzima springs and I look forward to viewing them for myself! This day will be New Years eve and I look forward to counting down the seconds to a new year outside the comfort of our bungalow in Nairobi!

New Year!!! On the eleventh day of Christmas! We celebrate a new year with the red elephants of Tsavo East and I have made special arrangements for a memorable dinner with my family at Ndololo where we will be staying. On the twelfth day of Christmas, the final day of our Kenya holiday, we enjoy a leisurely breakfast before embarking on our journey back to the big city (Nairobi). How I wish there could have been more days of Christmas!

Whatever you do, wherever you plan to be, have a very merry Christmas!

I am an ardent traveler, a thrill seeker, a staunch businessman.


View the original article here


Category Article ,

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.