Car Rental Insurance

Am I required to get rental car insurance if I don't have my own auto insurance?
I am planning to sell my car and cancel my auto insurance. If I want to rent a car, am I required to buy their rental car insurance, since I wouldn't have any other auto insurance otherwise?


If the car rental company covers their vehicles for public liability,as most do, you would be covered for basic public liability and property damage up to the minimum limits required by law for whatever state the rental originates from.

What you would want to look into as well, is whether you want to purchase a loss or collision damage waiver from the rental car company to cover any loss or damage to the rental vehicle.

You may be covered somewhat for this by your credit card; you should check their policy.

Basically, the car rental companies offer an "optional" damage waiver, but if something happens to the vehicle, you are fully financially responsible for any loss, damage or loss of use of the rental car. It is expensive. You may want to purchase insurance from the company or you may not, but you should weigh all your options.


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.