Using a Debit Card to Rent a Car

I'm looking for help with a car rental problem.

I have a trip to Costa Rica next week and I'm having problems with getting a rental car. I'm 29 years old with a great driving record, but I don't have a credit card -- never have.

I was going to use my debit card for the "HOLD" on the vehicle, which is fine, except for the fact that they want me to have $1500 + my rental fee approved on my card. I am on a budget, and most of my money will be out of my account in either cash form or colones (costa rican money) I will have plenty for the price of the rental, but im not going to have the amount they want me to have for a deposit.

Now, my mother has agreed to let me use her credit card for the hold, but they say that I can pay with her card at the end of my trip, but cannot use her card for my "HOLD" at the beginning of the rental.

I was thinking, go to my bank, get one of those pre-paid credit cards, let my mom use her visa to put $1000 on my card. Then I would have a Credit Card in my name with the right amount. Do you think this would work?


Your plan would only work if the car rental company accepts prepaid debit cards as a form of credit identification at the time of pick up.

You can try and find out by going to the car rental company's website and checking their credit id policies or by calling them directly to make sure that they will accept the prepaid card.

I'm only really familiar with the policies of the major car rental companies in North America; none of whom will accept a prepaid credit card at the beginning of a rental as credit id, they only accept them as a method of payment at the end of the rental.


More info on Car Rental Credit Card Policies


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.