Car Rental Insurance

Is liability insurance included in the price of a rental car?

I have no car, and therefore no auto insurance of my own, but I do have a driver license. I'm going to rent a car and I'm wondering if I can decline all the insurances that they sell and still be driving legally.

Also, What if my wife who has a permit (but not license) uses the car for practicing? Can I take her to DMV for her road test, using the rental car?


Most car rental companies carry basic public liability and property damage coverage on their vehicles up to the minimum limits required by law for that particular state. Just double check with the company you want to rent from, to make sure it is included. If it is not, you would be required to purchase liability coverage, as you don't have your own.

What the car rental companies try to sell you at the rental counter, as far as liability, is Additional Liability Insurance, which would increase your coverage beyond the minimum limits required by law.

As to your second question: all additional drivers, including a spouse, must have a full license in order to drive the rental car. Your spouse would not be able to drive the rental car at all.

Hope this helps!


For more information on these topics, see

Liability Insurance Tips

Additional Drivers for Rental Cars


Category Article

What's on Your Mind...

Powered by Blogger.